Monday, November 23, 2015

Thulnar Interview


1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the band?
1.Well, I'm a one-man band based in northern Italy. I put my first mp3 online back in 2004, very raw material. That year was a discovery... meaning I had to learn everything by myself: notation, orchestration and the use of a sequencer. My long-time friend Elrick Blackcrow helped me a lot with everything and he's the other pillar of Thulnar. Oh, about the name: Thulnar is the main character's name of the lore behind all my music, crafted by Elric and I. Because, you know, if you want to label yourself "Extreme Fantasy Metal", a concept is capital.

2.How would you describe the musical sound that is presented on the recordings?
2.The musical sound is pompous and symphonic. I repeat: symphonic. Orchestra in my mind has the importance of the classic rock/metal quartet in the final mix balance, not a mere keyboard put in the rear. This often complicates things with producers and engineers, but once they understand my vision, everything flows smoothly.  So, think about Thulnar like Rhapsody (of Fire) plus Summoning and you get the idea.

3.This is the first release to come out in 8 years, can you tell us a little bit more bout what has been going on during that time frame?
3.Meanwhile, I released two demos, called "Thulnar Demo" (you cand find it online) and "The End of the Blissful Days" (try it on my Soundcloud page!).

4.Your lyrics cover Fantasy themes, can you tell us a little bit more about your interest in this topic?
4.This answer could last pages! Apart from classic philosophy books, my other readings are related to fantasy fiction. I buy stuff and stuff on Amazon Kindle just for the sake of discovering new and interesting fantasy authors; I read them in English, 'cause the vast majority is unpublished here in Italy... even if the knowledge of the language itself is far from perfect.

5.Originally the band was called 'Darken', what was the decision behind the name change and also the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Thulnar'?
5.Well, "Darken" in a very common name in the metal... culture, underground? Call it the way you prefer. So back in the days I decided to change the moniker to avoid possible copyright trouble, just in the case the band will grow.

6.Currently there are only 2 members in the band, are you planning on expanding the line up in the future or do you chose to remain a duo?
6.I read, everyday, of splitted bands... Of founder members and main composer kicked out from the project they had created. Metal and rock, and metal and rock community as well, are not so deeply respectful towards composers and thus they lament downfall quality when these persons leave bands. Think about it: we remember Mozart and Beethoven, not the guys playing their stuff.

7.Currently you are unsigned, are you looking for a label or have received any interest?
7.I'm not actively looking, because I lost hope. And some patience as well. Very few labels now-a-days want to take risks, they want bands that already sell. So... how can you call yourself an entrepreneur without taking risks? I just don't get it.

8.On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of metal?
8.In eleven years now, only a moderately bad review. I can't rely on music for a living, at all, but since my songs are genre mixed I can get a bit of attention. In the beginning, I didn't have so much expectations, but now the overall project is evolving slowly, yet in a positive way.

9.Are any of the band members also involved with any other bands or musical projects these days?
9.Elric, my singer, is involved in another Italian band called "Mors Tua", where he writes lyrics and plays trumpet. Yes, he's a classical trumpet Maestro, playing in various European symphonic orchestras all year around. By the way, check this out, if you are curious about "Mors Tua"! http://ilmaleproduction.bandcamp.com/

10.When can we expect a full length album and also where do you see the band heading into musically during the future?
10.Musically, the band will follow the same genre directions. I will try to improve the quality more and more, 'cause I'm never satisfied, of course. I'm planning to release a single in 2016,  "Bellum".

11.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
11.Rhapsody are my main inspirations. Hollywood movies' soundtracks as well. Early Immortal too. Mix these three elements and you obtain Thulnar!

12.What are some of your non musical interests?
12.Gaming and sport, road cycling and bodybuilding above all!

13.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?
13.Final thoughts are about the music industry. Always remember it's the fans who make the industry. We artists are creative and we are entertainers, but our art is inside of us. Without the listeners' minds, our art is a dead end. So, listen to music without genre boundaries and support the artists!

Bandcamp
Facebook
Myspace
ReverbNation
SoundCloud
Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment